Sunday, November 25, 2007

A Page a Day?

I just read an interview of John Grisham posted at slushpile.net in which he recommends writing a minimum of a page a day, otherwise "the book won't get written". Hmm.

Mine is getting written, but on my write-only-on-a-business-trip schedule, which means that there are significant numbers of non-writing periods, such as right now in which I'm on day 4 of 5 in a row at home. I don't write at home for two main reasons; one is that I don't want to lock myself away from the family at home, the other is that we always have tons of projects that need doing around the house. (We've been working on a 1940's farmhouse and 9 acres for 10+ years, but that's the subject of another blog.)

I do worry, though, what the effect the repeated interruptions in the flow will have, however. On the one hand it may effect continuity and overall quantity, on the other perhaps it helps to come back to it refreshed after a layoff.

Pay your money and take your choice - it hurts or helps, is the glass half empty or half full?

No comments: