Saturday, January 28, 2012

Long Time No Blog

Yes, despite the best of my varying intentions it has been LTNB.  There are a number of reasons for that, but the biggest is that my editor returned her critique of Redemption on the River.

No, it's not that bad.

In fact, Laurie had many good things to say about my writing and the novel, and she's not one to mince words.  Also, I agree with 85% of her inputs.  The other 15% may simply fall under the headings of differences of opinion and author's pivilege.

Furthermore, for the small and medium-sized problems she pointed out I can immediately see what to do about them.  I'll be reading her report, see & agree with what she points out about, say, a particular scene, and I'll think, "Yes, your right, and I know just how to fix it!"

However, COMMA, she has pointed out two big things that should be fixed and I have been unable to come up with fixes.

As I said in correspondence with her, in order to fix them I run into the principle of Grandfather's Axe, which poses a question.  If I say I have my grandfather's axe, and that my father replaced the handle and I replaced the head, do I in fact have my grandfather's axe?  I say no.

So, whatever type of change that I come up with or has been suggested to fix the Two Big Problems (TBP's), it always feels like Grandfather's Axe.  Major changes are contemplated, and the result—in my mind—is that it becomes another book, not Redemption on the River.  I might as well just change the character names, but RotR on the back shelf, and start a new story.

What to do?

No comments: