Thursday, December 6, 2007

Good Sessions

I got a good couple of sessions in today during those periods I had available. 2,700 words recorded in the form of 1's and 0's on a spinning magnetic platter.

I almost lost a hunk of writing the other day. I was working on the Secret Project while riding in an airliner with no place to plug in the laptop, saw that the battery life was going, and stopped hitting the Save command to cut down on writes to the hard drive to stretch out the battery minutes. I was depending on the Mac's usual warning of a low battery, but for some reason it never came and it shut down on me. Damn!

I quickly scratched out an outline of what had been written, but figured it would never be the same. (Actually, it likely would have been better the second time around)

Anyway, I recharged the laptop and when it fired up again it pointed out that the document hadn't been saved, and asked if I would like to recover the data? Umm.... yes.

Way to go, Apple. I pity anyone who has to work with a winbloze machine.

Despite the fact that the words have been flowing at a good pace I don't think I'm going to make it (first draft done by Christmas) without breaking the no-writing-at-home rule once more. Its the only way to make the goal and my wife, SFF, who's been extremely supportive, will tell me to go ahead.

Word count: 186,500

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mac rule!