Wednesday, December 19, 2007

No Writing Allowed

My overall plan calls for a writing hiatus after completing the first draft. Stephen King, in his book On Writing, recommends a six week interval between the first draft and beginning the first rewrite. Accordingly, I'm planning to start the rewrite after the new year. There is plenty to do in the meantime - researching facts, thinking about the characters, writing descriptions of them, getting SFF's feedback and digesting it, converting the file from AppleWorks to Pages, all kinds of things.

That said, I'm having a hard time not jumping right into the edit. There's a lot to be done and I think it will be much, much better when its done. Its a good thing we're going down to California for our big family Christmas get together or I might not be able to wait that long.

And, yes, if I wait until the first it will only be a two week hiatus, but that's about as long as I think I can wait.

No comments: